Monday, September 26, 2011

Herman Cain, Captain Mumblebug and the Stand-up Chameleon

Ok, now, before I start, I am well aware that by this time next month it's more than likely that things will be completely different. But for right now, I am thoroughly enjoying seeing Herman Cain take the FL CPAC straw poll and the latest Zogby poll. Mostly for no other reason that it seems to be confounding the pundits who want us to accept their choice of candidates. Well sorry, but Romney is our John Kerry; everything he's "for" now he was against when it was necessary to be so to get elected governor of Massachusetts. In case you've never been there, no governor of Massachusetts could ever truly be a conservative, so forget it. No matter what you say, or what he says, Romney is a conservative like the Dalai Lama is a break dancer.   You'll convince me Obama loves America before you convince me Romney is a conservative.  And Rick Perry, who I really wanted to like... what was THAT?!?  He has no one on his staff who thought to tell him that a GOP debate isn't something you "wing"?  For crying out loud, Merriam-Webster is thinking of putting his picture next to "Deer-In-The-Headlights" and "Oops" in their next edition. 

I love Gingrich's snappy retorts.  I think I speak for a lot of conservatives when I say it's about bloody time someone on our side sprouted a spine and started calling BS when they hear it.  The problem for Gingrich is his little eco-issue.  It troubles me that such a brilliant guy was sucked in so badly on that, and it makes me wonder where else his discernment needs a little shoring up.  If Newt Gingrich would really work hard to convince me that he's truly and fully conservative, no more Mr. Nice Guy and it's time to get down to real solutions vs. the compromises that make up every single Republican final position ever, maybe we can talk.  But this is the last chance, Newt; burn me here and I don't care if you channel Ronald Reagan and Charleton Heston at the same time, we're done.

I really wanted to like Michelle Bachmann.  But she blew it so badly with the Gardisil thing.  I technically agreed with her position, but to learn that the program was opt out and that other parts of the story were kind of squishy, well, making points only works when you get to keep the points.  Those didn't last long.  Either your message and your positions get you to the top or they don't.  Stretching the truth to nail someone, even if what they did wrong, will always backfire.  Well, at least unless you're a Democrat.  Ah, but I digress...

Gary Johnson makes me scratch my head.  For the life of me I can't figure out what he's doing there.  At least with Ron Paul you can understand that he knows he's not going to be president, but that he has a real opportunity to shape the discussion.  Unfortunately, when it comes to foreign policy, the shape he makes of the discussion is something of a pink fluffy bunny in a soundproof Lucite box ignoring everything going on around it.  But on money he's making the right noises.

Why is Herman Cain leading right now?  Because he calls it like he sees it.  When you've been where he's been and you have nothing to lose, you can talk like it, and I think people really appreciate it.  I for one would much rather have the truth even if it's a hard truth than the mosaic of lies, demagoguery and agenda that we've dealt with the past three years.  I want someone with a real plan to fix real problems even if maybe it is a little simplistic sounding than someone who beats the country into the ground jamming false solutions to secondary problems down our throats while Rome burns.  I want someone who actually cares about America more than about what he can turn it into.  And I don't think I'm alone.  Herman Cain resonates with conservatives if only because he has the nerve to look at the camera and tell you the president is lying.  It's about time. 

So you there at Fox News, quit trying to sell me Rick Perry and Mitt Romney.  Captain Mumblebug ain't doin' it for me, and neither is the standup chameleon, I mean comedian, from the second left coast.  Them buses already left the station...

No comments:

Post a Comment